When thinking of going on a trip with your closest girls, one of the most important decisions is where you will go. And there are plenty of cities all over the world that would make for a memorable getaway with your ladies! One of the destinations that should be on top of your list is Vienna. The capital city of Austria, Vienna is among Europe’s most prominent cities because of its rich history and strong cultural heritage.
While the city’s past is still evident, Vienna has evolved so much over the years to keep up with its growing popularity. For you and your girlfriends, Vienna is the perfect place to relax, take in some culture, eat great food, and do other fun things. If you want to have an unforgettable time, check out this list of things to do on a girls’ trip to Vienna. (Pro tip: To avoid having to drag around heavy bags or backpacks with you, look for a luggage storage locker in the city and deposit your items there).
Top Things to Do in Vienna with the Girls
Vienna offers plenty of opportunities for fun and adventure with your gal pals. Below are some of the exciting and girly things to do in Vienna with your best ladies:
- Check out the markets.
If there’s one thing that travelers absolutely love to do, it has to be shopping. Luckily, there is no shortage of retail options in the city of Vienna. For an authentic Viennese shopping experience, ditch the big boutiques and malls and go for the markets instead. Some of the best markets in the city include:
- Naschmarkt: This is the biggest and most popular market in the city where a multitude of local and international specialties await. The market also offers culinary delights from all over the world.
- Karmelitermarkt: Located near Schwedenplatz, just a couple of minutes away from the Old Town, this market has different stalls and local vendors selling fresh produce and other ready-to-eat goods.
- Brunnenmarkt: Situated in Yppenplatz Square, this is Vienna’s largest food market, with over 170 stalls that sell vegetables, meat, fish, and even exotic spices.
- Mondscheinbazar : This seasonal bazaar features 200 exhibitors who present their art, antiquities, fashion pieces, and more. For a small entrance ticket, you can enter the market and see the different items being sold here.
- Go museum hopping with the girls.
As one of the most historic and culturally-rich cities in Europe, Vienna has a host of top-rated museums and galleries that you and your girls should include in your itinerary. Some of the ones you shouldn’t miss are:
- Kunsthistorisches Museum: This fine art museum is one of the best in the world, housing numerous works of art and treasures acquired by the Habsburgs. Here, you will find the biggest collection of Bruegels as well as artworks by the likes of Canaletto, Anthony van Dyck, and Gustav Klimt.
- Natural History Museum Vienna: Located just across from the Kunsthistorisches Museum, this facility currently has on display nearly 30 million individual items and artifacts related to natural history. Highlights include the oldest and biggest meteorite collection in the world as well as the Venus of Willendorf, a statue of Venus said to have been around since 30,000 B.C.
- Leopold Museum: Found in the prominent MuseumsQuartier in the city, the Leopold Museum boasts an array of pieces created by Gustav Klimt and is home to the world’s largest collection of works by Viennese artist Egon Schiele.
- MAK – Museum for Applied Arts: This museum, housed in a neo-Renaissance building, also doubles as an exhibition space for all things design. The exhibits have everything from furniture, textiles, glass, china, and other items that existed between the Middle Ages and the present day.
3. Watch a live performance at the Vienna State Opera.
Austria is synonymous with music and opera. After all, it is the birthplace of some of the world’s most celebrated musicians such as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Johann Strauss. Located in the capital is one of the top opera houses in the world – the Vienna State Opera. This 19th-century building, which will definitely catch your eye with its bright lights and stunning exteriors, is a performance space as well as the headquarters of the world-renowned Vienna State Ballet.
At the Opera House, more than 350 live performances are held throughout the season featuring over 50 different companies. The shows here are predominantly opera or ballet productions. Take your ladies for a night out and soak up some of the city’s culture by buying a ticket to one of the numerous live events held at the Vienna State Opera
4. Check out the hip bars in the city.
No girls’ trip to anywhere would be complete without grabbing the chance to relax, unwind and have a few drinks with your best friends. Fortunately, you are spoiled for choice when it comes to nightlife options in the “City of Dreams”.
Even though Austria is famous for its spritzers, the local drinking scene in the capital has plenty more to offer – from wines and beer to trendy cocktails. Some of our top picks on where to go for a drink when in Vienna are:
5. Walk the famous Ringstrasse.
You and your girlfriends cannot leave the city of Vienna without strolling the iconic avenue known as the Ringstrasse, also called Ring Road. Constructed in 1857 during the reign of Franz Joseph I, the grand boulevard was meant to highlight the best architecture borne out of the Habsburg Empire.
The 6.5-kilometer-long street is lined with exotic trees, botanical gardens, and historical landmarks. As a matter of fact, the Ringstrasse is home to a number of the top attractions in Vienna, including the Imperial Palace, the Hofburg Palace, the Parliament Building, the National Library the National History Museum, Vienna State Opera, and the Kunsthistorisches Museum. Spending one afternoon strolling the Ringstrasse is not only a chance to hang out, but it is also one of the best ways to go sightseeing.