(Summary: Here are some easy tips for creating a distinctive and user-friendly online travel journal.)
No matter if you are a casual backpacker or a serious explorer, an online diary is a great way to share your travel stories with the worldwide audience.
With an online travelogue, you can write about your experiences, expedition, and adventures on certain trips along with the images.
As an added bonus, your online travel blog can be a source of money once you get Google Ad Sense.
While it is easy to create a personal online travel journal, it is important to make it user-friendly.
For example, you have great travel details and substantial content. But your travel blog is cluttered while poor navigation just makes it worse. Obviously, it will be a great turn off for your readers.
Besides, there are thousands of travel bloggers online and they are your direct competitor, requiring you to make your travel blog stand out.
With a smooth user interface, your travel diary looks engaging, attractive and informative at the same time.
Here are the ways to create an elegant, simple and intuitive user interface for your travel blog.
Choose Your Blogging Platform Wisely:
There are many blogging platforms to choose from. Each of them offers you a plethora of themes or template.
Whatever you choose, make sure to consider these points:
- Make sure the templates are flexible with customization options and settings.
- If you are looking to create your designs from scratch, prefer the one with page builder tools.
- Don’t compromise quality with price.
- Always choose a responsive design so that it can fit all screens.
- Buy it from a reputable and trustworthy vendor.
- They should be SEO friendly.
Look for Design References:
Analyze the interface of those successful travel blogs of your genre. In business language, it is called competitor analysis.
Assess some top travel blogs to find out the answers of….
What kind of user interface they have? What buttons do they use? What kind of fonts they have? How they place their photos?
Imply those “positives” into your travel blog to see the difference.
Make It Quick to Load:
Make sure your travel blog loads as quick as possible. Otherwise, it is frustrating for a user to wait, prompting them to abandon your site in the middle of loading. Top of that, a slow loading blog is more likely to lose rankings.
Here are some basics to speed up your travel blog:
- Use specific caching plugin provided by your website vendor so that your blog doesn’t waste time in loading pages every time someone visits them.
- Compress big images. There are many tools that can resize the images while maintaining their quality.
- Limit the number of blogs on your home page. Or you can use expandable post summaries for those posts.
- Use separate image hosts take the extra strain off your blog. Some free tools for this purpose are Google Photos, Flickr and Imgur.
- Clean up your blog widgets.
- Limit the use of custom fonts.
Work Over Its Navigation:
It can make or break your travel blog.
If people can’t find where your menu is or how to subscribe to your blog, they will abandon it in seconds. Even worse, they may never return.
Great navigation design improves the user’s experience. For example, Shopify.sg features a blog section that looks super simple and is easy to navigate as well.
Here are some things to ponder over in this context.
- Keep the menu visible and on the front.
- Show Popular Posts or Recent Posts to the forefront.
- Organize your blog in categories.
- Make your social media buttons visible to them.
- And don’t forget to add a Search Box on the top of the page.
- Use hyperlinks carefully. For example, if the blog is about travel tips for Europe, you can hyperlink “travel tips” to your travel guide section.
Keep Your Pages Consistent:
The last thing to worry about is the consistency of your blog. Here consistency means that every element should match, from button styles, font choices, coloring, and design elements to images. It will make your visitors feel that they are still on your website.
So you must have understood how to improve the user interface of your online travel blog. To conclude, all you need to take care of the readability, navigation and load time of your travel blog. Make sure to integrate these tips with your informative and unique content to make your travel blog everyone’s favorite.
What do you think? Please let me know by commenting below.