I have always been wanting to build a capsule wardrobe ever since I learned about Minimalism. I have always love wearing basic classic clothes rather than trendy ones. I also love monochrome clothes than pattern so I can mix and match them easily.
Capsule Wardrobe is essentially a mini collection of clothes made up of really versatile pieces that you totally love to wear that are interchangeable to complement each other. Some have different rules how to create a capsule wardrobe. Some have a specific number in mind. Some would narrow it down to 27 or 37. A lifestyle Youtuber of The Daily Connoisseur and writer of the Madame Chic book series, Jennifer L. Scott, has the 10 Item Capsule Wardrobe per season. Author, Dominique Loreau of L’arte De Simplicete How To Live More With Less advised to have:
• 7 outdoor pieces (jacket, raincoat, coat)
• 7 tops (sweater, t-shirts, shirts)
• 7 other items ( trousers, jeans, skirt, dresses)
• 7 pairs of shoes
• a few of accessories (scarves, belts, gloves)
When I moved to Oman, I was sort of forced into sort-of a capsule wardrobe because I have to make sure all my clothes and essential items fit in my luggage not exceeding 30 kg for my plane ride. I only got 4 work tops, 4 casual t-shirt, 2 jeans, 1 slacks, 4 skirts, 2 dresses, 2 shorts, night clothes and one swimsuit. I been rotating those clothes up until now. I bought a few new ones to add to my wardrobe but some clothes I do have to replace because of wear and tear. And I also realised clothes here in Oman gets worn out easily. Maybe it is our semi-automatic washing machine or the scorching heat when we sun-dry our clothes or the water we use here.
Steps in Creating a Capsule Wardrobe
- Identify your style as well as your lifestyle
Incorporate your work and normal activity in creating the choices of clothes for your wardrobe
2. Clean out your closet and keep only the ones that resonates with your style
- Make sure to keep the clothes that you can wear again & again and you can mix & match. For the rest of the clothes, donate or sell it.
3. Have your signature color.
- Choose a basic colour like navy or black or neutral colours. Find a complimentary colour and add a bit of pattern into the mix.
4. Make a final inventory of your capsule wardrobe and list missing items that would complete your wardrobe
5. Mix & match your clothes and rewire them. Once completed your capsule wardrobe, if there is a need to add an item in the clothes, replace it with one item in the wardrobe.
Essential Things To Include In Your Capsule Wardrobe
I remember when I used to hang out at this cafe when I was in med school, I found this article that got me interested in having essential items you must own. These are versatile pieces that will always be used. Owning one would be enough and replaced once worn out.
- Basic White T-shirt / Basic Black T-shirt
- Black Slacks
- White Button-Down Long-Sleeves Shirt
- The Little Black Dress
- Pearl or Diamond Stud Earrings
- Black High-Heels or Pumps
- Flat Shoes or Ballet Flats
- Black or Grey Turtleneck
- Black or Navy Skirt
- White Cotton Dress / Sundress
- Dressy Top
- Statement necklace
- Classy Jacket or Trench Coat
- Bathing Suit that flatters your figure
- Gown for special occasions
- Flip flops or sandals
I am still in a process of completing my capsule wardrobe. I love this capsule wardrobe concept because it helps me streamline the clothes I own, lessen anxiety, helps me save and make my wardrobe clutter-free.
Are you ready to create your capsule wardrobe too?